Every visitor* who does not have a DoD-issued identification card (Active Duty, Military retiree, CAC card issued by West Point), and is not being actively sponsored/accompanied by someone who holds a DoD card, will need a visitor pass to access post. A Grad Pass, once obtained, does not qualify the holder to escort others on post. For a full list of identification requirements, please visit U.S. Army Garrison West Point’s Visiting Us page.
Non-Alumni Request Form
If you are not a USMA graduate you can print out this fillable form before you arrive and bring it with you to the Visitor Control Center (VCC) to apply for your badge. They will have forms at the VCC, however this will shorten your wait time. You will need a form for each individual in your party. The Visitor Control Center is open daily from 6am to 10pm.
Alumni Request Form
Alumni must apply for a Grad Pass at least three days prior to arrival but no more than 120 days. There are two types of Grad Passes for which you can apply using the secure online form.
1. Temporary Alumni Pass
(No photo required) – If your visit to West Point will be less than 14 days, you may select the “Pass” option on the secure online form. Upon arrival at West Point, you may choose to proceed to the interior checkpoint inside Thayer Gate (Past the Thayer Hotel) to obtain your pass(es). At the gate, present your documentation to the gate guard, and he/she will issue the appropriate passes. Please note that each pass is prepared individually at the gate, so it may take several minutes to process multiple passes. During high-traffic events, guards may occasionally direct “full” vehicles back to the VCC to obtain passes to allow a continuous flow of traffic. When in doubt, Grads always have the option of obtaining their passes at the VCC vice Thayer Gate.
2. Local Area Credential (LAC)
(Photo required) – If you visit West Point more than once a year, we recommend you select the “Badge” option on the secure online form to receive a Grad Pass that is good for one year. Upon arrival at West Point, proceed to the VCC and utilize the Alumni Line to await service. Once called to the service desk, you will have your photo taken, and your Grad Pass will be issued within a few minutes. Be advised, during peak visitation times (e.g. Fridays of football weekends, and other special events), the VCC may experience significant wait times (60mins +), even for Alumni. The VCC opens at 6:00am and closes at 10:00pm.
To receive a Grad Pass:
- You must first log on to the WPAOG website with your username and password. Click here to access and complete the secure online post access application form.
- If you have forgotten your username or password to the site, please click on “Forgot Your Password/Username?” You will receive an email notification with instructions to reset your password.
- If you have requested the link to change your password and have not received it, check your spam settings, make sure our domain is allowed, and check your junk file. To add our domain or to unblock our emails please visit WPAOG Tech Support and follow the instructions.
- If you are using Safari on an Apple device, please try using Chrome. We are working to optimize all IOS systems.
- If you have registered for an account in the last 24 hours, you may not have full access to forms and links on this site for 1-2 business days while your registration is being processed.
- If you have difficulty gaining access to the secure online form or being redirected to the home page, please contact email LoginHelp@wpaog.org.
- If you have questions about the Grad Pass program or general access to post questions, please call 845.446.1622.
- Complete the secure online West Point Local Access Credential Request form at least three days prior to your arrival at West Point.*
- Upon submission, the form will go directly to DES, which oversees the security review. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. That email is not confirmation that your pass has been approved, only confirmation that the request has been successfully transmitted. If DES requires additional information about an individual’s application, they will contact that person by email. If you do not receive any further correspondence from DES, then the application was successfully processed.
- Be sure to print your email confirmation, and bring it with you when you visit.
- If you applied for a Temporary Alumni Pass, bring the printed confirmation email to Thayer Gate. The email cannot be displayed on a phone or other electronic device. The first gate guard will direct you to the search area – the second, covered checkpoint – where you will use the non-DoD lane. Present the confirmation email to the gate guard who will exchange your email for a paper pass. Note: it takes a minute or two to process each pass, as they are individualized for each person in your vehicle. Be prepared to wait in place for 1-2 minutes per required pass.
- If you applied for a LAC, bring the printed email confirmation to the VCC and utilize the Alumni Lane to await service. When you arrive at the desk, your photo will be taken, and a LAC will be issued. You may then proceed to enter West Point through any gate.
Note: If you are traveling with others, each person 18 years of age or older must obtain his or her own pass or badge. Complete a separate form for each individual who will need a pass. Please include a distinct email address for each person/form, where he or she can receive a separate, personal email confirmation.
For information on how to support the Rockbound Highland Home Program and other WPAOG initiatives, click here.
Moving around West Point:
Since parking is extremely limited at West Point, consider using the on-post circulating shuttle service. The shuttle is free to everyone and is available between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm Monday through Friday, save for federal holidays. The shuttle arrives and departs from its designated stops approximately every 30 minutes.
For more information, and a full listing of stops, please visit https://home.army.mil/westpoint/index.php/west-point-garrison/newcomers/shuttle-services. To track the shuttle from your smartphone, computer, or another device, download the RideSystems App and select “West Point” in either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.