George Washington first proposed a military academy in 1783, but critics deemed this idea as incompatible with democratic institutions, fearing the creation of a European-like military aristocracy. Finally, two decades after Washington’s first proposal, on March 16, 1802, the United States Military Academy officially opened.
Tell us about your Founders Day events and we will post them to our online calendar.
Resources for Event Planners
- WPAOG Membership
- Founders Day Planning Packet
- Society Roster (Society Presidents and Soc Admin only)
- Questions, contact WPAOG
- Questions about USMA Speakers
- Send us your FD news and photos for Society News feed!
- Registration Site Request
Please copy and paste image. Do not “Save Picture As” because image becomes distorted.