The Sylvanus Thayer Award
Selection and Presentation | List of Recipients
Since 1958, the West Point Association of Graduates has presented the SYLVANUS THAYER AWARD to an outstanding citizen of the United States whose service and accomplishments in the national interest exemplify personal devotion to the ideals expressed in the West Point motto, “DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY.”
Thayer Award Criteria
The Award is given to a citizen of the United States, other than a West Point graduate, whose outstanding character, accomplishments, and stature in the civilian community draw wholesome comparison to the qualities for which West Point strives, in keeping with its motto: “Duty, Honor, Country.” The individual selected for the Thayer Award must agree to accept the Award at West Point.
For the Thayer Award, the following guidelines apply with respect to nominations:
- Classes, Societies, and individual Regular Members of the Association may submit nominations for the Thayer Award.
- The number of new annual nominations that Classes, Societies, and individuals may submit is unlimited. The intention is to present the Award to a single individual, not to a gorup or conceptual individual.
Nominate for Thayer Award
- It shall take the form of a letter to the Chairman of the Thayer Award Committee, noting how their nominee’s accomplishments draw wholesome comparison to the qualities for which West Point strives, in keeping with its motto: "Duty, Honor, Country".
- The nominating letter shall be no longer than three pages.
- Any endorsements of the nomination that either accompany it or that arrive separately shall be confined to a single page.
The deadline for the 2014 Award is November 1, 2013. Nominations are considered active for three years. Letters should be addressed as follows:
Thayer Award Committee
c/o Bridget Suarez
West Point Association of Graduates
698 Mills Road
West Point, New York 10996
Selection and Presentation
Normally, the recipient is approved by the Board of Directors, and announced in late winter. The Award is presented in the following October.